“The vision that knowledge and skills acquired in the program will benefit students throughout their lives and help them to thrive in an ever-changing world by enabling them to acquire physical health and develop the comprehension, capacity, and commitment needed to lead healthy, active lives and to promote healthy, active living.”
– The Ontario ‘Health and Physical Education’ Curriculum (p3, 2010 edition).
Fundamental Movement Skills Education
The Kids O Course contains learning expectations from the Ontario Health and Physical Education Curriculum. Students will acquire the skills they need to excel in their Phys Ed. program in school, improve their cardiorespiratory fitness, learn to set simple personal fitness goals, engage in healthy habits and to stay active.
As a teacher or parent, the success and overall health of our students/children are our primary concerns. Below is a list of educational benefits and expectations that have been extracted from the Ontario Health and Physical Education Curriculum, Grades 1-12.
- Accountability towards reaching goals
- Time management and prioritizing
- Reaching goals promote increased confidence and self esteem
- Discipline – will assist in other areas of students’ lives (homework, studying, responsibilities)
- Personal and interpersonal interactions
- Effective team work
- Showing respect for one another
- How to utilize simple tactics to overcome obstacles
- Giving children ownership over their health
Physical, Mental and Emotional Benefits
- Stronger muscles and bones
- Leaner body (exercise helps control body fat)
- Less likely to become overweight
- Decrease risk of diseases
- Lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Have better outlook on life
- Increase happiness
- Assist students to handle physical and emotional challenges
- Limits screen time (video games, TV, internet)
- Importance of engaging in physical activity each day
- Importance of healthy eating
- Assists students to make connections between their health and wellbeing
- ***Self-esteem is a common struggle for all youth.
- Helps students realize they are good at something!
- Using simple tactics to enhance success
- Exercise and feel better about yourself
- Provides activities they can get involved in and truly shine, boosting their self-esteem